Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Vacation and Name Frames

Well I went on vacation this weekend, to Los Angeles to visit my family down there. It was a great time, especially because I haven't seen them in so long. While I was there, of course I had to visit the yarn shops. I went to Knit Cafe and Suss Designs.

At Knit Cafe I got this lovely yarn:


Which is Jitterbug in the Florentina colorway. I think I will make socks for me. Eventually. The Knit Cafe was definitely not quite what I was expecting. The sales ladies were not very nice and did not ask me if I needed help, once. And then, when I asked the gauge on a yarn they looked at me like I had three heads. I was like you know, stitches per inch. So, they looked at it and said, "Oh, use size 0". I was like, that is not the GAUGE! But, whatever, I still got pretty yarn.

Then at Suss Designs I went a little crazy. The Suss brand yarns are really, really nice. I got two skeins of Suss Love in red. It's not necessarily all that colorful to look at, but it just feels amazing. It's tactel nylon, whatever that it, but its so so so soft. So I think I am going to modify the ridiculously tiny gauge pattern I have for cabled fingerless gloves and make them with this. And then, I got two skeins of Suss Twisted. In the Chocolate and like a pinkish color they call nude but really isn't. I think I will make a bag of some sortish. Suss Designs was a much nicer place, sales lady wise. It was a lady and a guy and they didn't really talk to me, until I started picking up yarns and it was clear I was going to purchase something. But then, once I did it was all talk. The guy was very friendly and overall a slightly enjoyable experience. So my yarn store adventures in Los Angeles went pretty well, I'd say.

Now, I gave some of my friends name frames this holiday season and I wanted to show on here. This one is for a family friend, Vicky. I love this paper, which I got at the Scrapbook Nook, in San Mateo. Anyways, I think she liked it and I really like how it turned out. I wanted to use as much of the paper as possible.

I think it looks pretty decent. The lighting in these photos is not so good, but oh well, I am no photographer. To end, here is a close up of the paper so you can see the detail.

- Alicia

1 comment:

Alexa said...

I am so jealous of the jitterbug. Damn you.